Ulla Nolden investigates the joy found at the margins of everyday life and its potential for individual and social change.
Having been brought up to be suspicious of art, Nolden first became a designer and created motion graphics for television and corporate films. Yet she remained intrigued by the psychological and social questions raised by contemporary art. Gradually, over several years, Nolden discovered her own aesthetic through the daily photographs of her EVERYDAY project. Taking her self-exploration further, she created the PURE MOVEMENTS project to investigate the phenomenon of certain movements at the margins of everyday life giving her extraordinary joy. She used programming languages to formalise and represent this sensual experience in algorithmic animations.
With BISWEILEN, her current project, Nolden seeks to expand her research to other individuals as well as society in general with a view to inspiring change. Through written observations and interviews she tries to understand the role of plants for individual expression and joy. Furthermore she researches the link between the historic development of garden design and wider cultural change. Ultimately Nolden asks if gardens could be testing sites for rethinking our relationship with nature and with each other. The English version of the project can be viewed at bisweilen.com and the German version at bisweilen.de.
GROUP EXHIBITIONS & SCREENINGS
• WINDOW PROJECT 2012-18, Gazelli Art House, London, August 2018
• ATHENS DIGITAL ARTS FESTIVAL, Athens, May 2017
• CAIRO VIDEO FESTIVAL, Medrar for Contemporary Art, Cairo, February 2017
• FUTURE FEST, London, Sept 2016
• DIGITAL CANVAS, Adiacenze, Bologna, July 2016
• FILM STRIPPING, Centrum [contemporary art space], Berlin, June 2016
• DIGITAL CANVAS, ikonoTV, Berlin, May 2016
• DIGITAL CANVAS, Industry City Art Gallery, New York, Apr 2016
• SOUND / IMAGE, Stephen Lawrence Gallery, London, Nov – Dec 2015
• EXCEPT/ON, Goldsmiths, London, Sep 2015
• FUTURE GRAPHICS, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Sep 2014
• TESTSIGNAL, Hotel Elephant, London, Sep 2014
• FUTURE FEST ART PRIZE, FutureFest and s[edition], Sept 2016
• DIGITAL CANVAS, ikono.TV, Mar 2016
• WINDOW PROJECT AWARD, Gazelli Art House, Winter 2015/6
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• MA Computational Arts Goldsmiths College, University of London, with distinction, 2013 – 2015
• Motion Designer and Art Director for corporate and broadcast clients, 1996 – 2013
• BA (Hons) Media Production Design LCP (LCC, University of the Arts London), with first-class honours, 1991 – 1995
ulla at nolden dot com