Ulla Nolden is an artist interested in the subtleties of everyday reality. She investigates certain aspects of her perception through photography, algorithmic animation and writing.
Having been brought up to be suspicious of art, Nolden first became a motion designer. Yet she remained intrigued by the philosophical questions raised by contemporary art.
Over the years Ulla Nolden developed her own aesthetic through daily photographs. Studying computer programming enabled her to fuse her motion design experience with an examination of her visual perception of movement. Her current research focuses on the perception of spaces at the junction of nature and culture: gardens.
Nolden was born in Germany in 1968 and currently lives in Düsseldorf and London.
• PURE MOVEMENTS, Centrum [contemporary art space], Berlin, May 2017
• PURE MOVEMENT 2 & 3, window project, Gazelli Art House, London, Dec 2015 – Jan 2016
GROUP EXHIBITIONS & SCREENINGS
• WINDOW PROJECT 2012-18, Gazelli Art House, London, August 2018
• ATHENS DIGITAL ARTS FESTIVAL, Athens, May 2017
• CAIRO VIDEO FESTIVAL, Medrar for Contemporary Art, Cairo, February 2017
• FUTURE FEST, London, Sept 2016
• DIGITAL CANVAS, Adiacenze, Bologna, July 2016
• FILM STRIPPING, Centrum [contemporary art space], Berlin, June 2016
• DIGITAL CANVAS, ikonoTV, Berlin, May 2016
• DIGITAL CANVAS, Industry City Art Gallery, New York, Apr 2016
• SOUND / IMAGE, Stephen Lawrence Gallery, London, Nov – Dec 2015
• EXCEPT/ON, Goldsmiths, London, Sep 2015
• FUTURE GRAPHICS, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Sep 2014
• TESTSIGNAL, Hotel Elephant, London, Sep 2014
• FUTURE FEST ART PRIZE, FutureFest and s[edition], Sept 2016
• DIGITAL CANVAS, ikono.TV, Mar 2016
• WINDOW PROJECT AWARD, Gazelli Art House, Winter 2015/6
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• MA Computational Arts Goldsmiths College, University of London, with distinction, 2013 – 2015
• Motion Designer and Art Director for corporate and broadcast clients, 1996-2013
• BA (Hons) Media Production Design LCP (LCC, University of the Arts London), with first-class honours, 1991 – 1995
ulla at nolden dot com